birding-aus

Night Parrot sighting

Subject: Night Parrot sighting
From: "Nathan Waugh" <>
Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2007 13:27:02 +1100
Hi all,

One thing I don't understand about this recent discovery is the fact that
they keep it a secret in an attempt to 'try' and survey for the bird. I
think the location of the bird should be made public at this early stage
while we know that there are birds there.
These birds are so thinly spread that the only hope they ever have of
finding these guys is to get a large group of people looking for them. Or we
can all just wait another decade or two for another dead one to turn up.
Almost every attempt to try and survey for these species has failed
following reported sightings or dead specimens being found.
I think very little is done for the overall conservation of a species in
suppressing information about whereabouts. Sure there are issues about
disturbance, egg collectors and the like but if very little is known about
the things in the first place, *whats the point*???

Nathan Waugh