birding-aus

Issues in Malaysian Birding

To: Carl Clifford <>, Keith Johnson <>, ken & vivien harris <>, Mark Fanthorpe <>, "R.Surachai" <>, Rob Farnes <>, "'BIRDING-AUS'" <>, Connie Khoo <>, "Lim Aun Tiah" <>, Laurie Living <>,
Subject: Issues in Malaysian Birding
From: Laurie Living <>
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2007 22:41:51 +1100
Hi Carl and Alan

After a number of trips to both Peninsula and East Malaysia, I have noticed the impact on wildlife of both extensive logging and trapping. But one of the most obvious problems in recent years has been the replacement of forests with Palm Oil plantations...these plantations are a little like our 'pine plantations', where an excessive monculture provides little opportunity for 'diversity' of species.

Palm Oil production is the predominant 'farming' activity in Western Malaysia and is strongly supported by Government and the World Bank which give the all clear to Companies and rich families in Malaysia to deforest what was once a magnificent nation in order to provide some employment to local Malaysians, and a cheap form of cooking oil to the third world. Clearing the land is in fact encouraged [much like it has been and still is in Queensland, another rainforest zone of our planet] in Malaysia with bank loans and subsidies.

My bird surveys in palm oil plantations there have rarely produced more than a handful of species.

Laurie Living

Carl Clifford wrote:
G'Day Alan,
The main issues, in my view, are 1. Logging-legal and illegal, 2. encroachment on National Parks, 3. illegal hunting and trapping and 4. less than ideal development planning which results in unnecessary habitat clearing. These problems are not unique to Malaysia, there are other countries in the region which have the same problems, some to a much greater degree. The root cause of course is money, which allways seems to be able to out-talk logic..
Regards,
Carl