birding-aus

Stained Little Pied Cormorant

Subject: Stained Little Pied Cormorant
From: brian fleming <>
Date: Thu, 08 Feb 2007 17:17:19 +1100
The cormorant has probably been foraging in water which was badly rust-stained. This stain can be natural - I have seen it on fresh and salt-water. It looks rather like an oil-slick but doesn't seem to affect the birds' flying ability. The stain seems to lessen and be lost when they are in clean water.
The cormorant  is certainly very stained indeed.
Anthea Fleming

 wrote:

I see a lot of birds with staining down on the Bellerine Peninsula in Southern Victoria....especially at roost at Lake Lorne for some reason, (less so at other coastal and inland roosts)

The bird pictured on birdline however is a pretty extreme case. I always thought it was some type of marine spawn or something. But looking at that photo gave me a brain wave...i wonder if cormorants go for squid's and get inked???

Peter

"simon starr" <> Sent by:
08/02/2007 03:23 PM

<>
cc

Subject
[Birding-Aus] Stained Little Pied Cormorant

Hi all,
On Birdline Victoria at the moment is a photo of a Little Pied Cormorant with a remarkable amount of staining on its "white" plumage.
You can find it at www.eremaea.com and click the birdline Victoria link.
Anyone know how a bird could end up like this?

Simon Starr.