birding-aus

Lower Blue Mtns WNT & Raptors

Subject: Lower Blue Mtns WNT & Raptors
From: Matt Hughes <>
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2007 23:01:05 +1100
Howdy,
Throughout yesterday's clear blue skies & cooler weather, WTNs turned up in small groups of 2-10 here & there but a flock of 50+ appeared later & quickly shot through. Started off at just above high tree height & ended up quite high. A spectacular site. No fork tailed observed.

Sword fighting with Ryley has taken a twist with Australian Hobbies now on the home list - in addition to Peregrines. That delay in identifying is a dangerous exposure. A nice 'juxtapsoition' of cut & thust. Any tips on quick IDs between the 2 appreciated. Also, yesterday a Hobby perched on the dead tree across the road (think I'll start a list on that tree - includes White-headed pigeon, Dollabird, Sacred Kingfisher, Varied Sitella, Powerful & Boobook owls); I pointed it out to the kids & Mad got a couple of good snaps. Later, the next door neighbour (shows a general interest in the local bird life or at least he humors me) & I were viewing when he got excited about a large bird moving through the canopy not to far away. It turned out to be a Square-tailed Kite which we have noticed far more frequently over the last couple of months. Hopefully, we'll continue to see more of them; particularly good views of them perched in the dead tree, Matt ===============================