birding-aus

Rain, bushlarks and strange Rockwarbler behaviour

Subject: Rain, bushlarks and strange Rockwarbler behaviour
From: Carol Probets <>
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2007 18:24:21 +1100
Hi all,

Earlier this week, all the low-lying paddocks in the Capertee Valley were full of Singing Bushlarks and Australian Pipits. I lost count of how many we saw sitting on fences. I remember a similar thing happening for a short time in some other years. Every time we stopped the car, the melodious sustained singing of the bushlarks filled the air. There was one singing its heart out on my front fence, and its song included mimicry of Stubble Quail and Brown Songlark.

On Tuesday night and Wednesday morning the rain came down! A very welcome 40mm turned the roads muddy, and I had to cancel a day's birding due to wet weather for the first time in about 5 years! Dried out dams suddenly contained water and you could almost see the trees breathing a sigh of relief.

Other highlights, before we called it a day, included nice views of about 7 Turquoise Parrots on Crown Station Road and 3 Rockwarblers near Glen Davis. The Rockwarblers were behaving quite strangely, creeping fluidly over the boulders with their heads held low - as if they were lizards - instead of their usual jerky movements. I've never seen them do this before. It was raining lightly at the time.

cheers

Carol

--
Carol Probets