birding-aus

Twitchers heaven!

Subject: Twitchers heaven!
From: Katarina Stenman <>
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2007 19:30:30 +0100
Hi again all out there

Just to clarify a few things about the
Worldtwitcher.se site. It does not try to become
a scientific atlas tool or a trip report archive.
For me and many others it is a way to keep
records about what I have seen and where I saw
them.  It can be used just for you personal
fun!!! ;-) I doubt that any serious scientist
would put too much trust in a mishmash of
sightings published on the web without any
rarities committee check-up. However I did check
out the ones you listed (Eremaea, Birdpedia and
Birdata) and I doubt that they can be of any use
at the moment. Not many reports or maybe I failed
while searching. For example the mapping tool is
great but not useful if someone want to keep a record of their lifer lists.
Taxonomy and spelling of names is always a
problem. However as long as the scientific names
are following a published list - who really needs
the common names? And I am not trying to be
snobbish but it is true. Always thought that
botanists can do it so why not birders?

Keep on twitching despite the fact that the
discussed site not is proudly Australian made..................................

Katarina