birding-aus

Blue Mountains / Capertee Trip

To: Evan Beaver <>, birding australia <>
Subject: Blue Mountains / Capertee Trip
From: Grant Brosie <>
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2007 17:08:12 +1100 (EST)
Everyone,

Nick Livanos and I spent two days birding around this
picturesque part of NSW.
Our first stop was Lawson where we quickly found
several Grey Currawongs, Leaden Flycatcher and
Variegated Fairy-wren.
Next was Kings Tableland where we were delighted to
see a pair of Glossy Black-cockatoo with a youngster.
As we watched the young bird feeding low in the
allocasurinas a Beautiful Firetail hopped into view!
Several stops were made in an attempt to see Rock
Warbler and Pilotbird with no luck. I must be the only
birder in the world who can dip on Rock Warbler in the
Blue Mountains!
We headed down the mountains and into Lithgow where we
visited the sewage treatment works. I've been visiting
Lithgow since birth and this is the first time I've
birded this surprisingly great spot. Over a hundred
Pink-ears, just under a hundred Shoveler, lots of
Hoary-headed Grebe and up to 8 Blue-billed Ducks.
It was getting late in the afternoon as we headed down
into the Wolgan Valley. Dipped badly on Regent
Honeyeater but did see 4 Wonga Pigeon, Common
Bronzewing and heaps of Musk Lorikeet. Very few
Friarbirds and Little Lorikeet about.
Our last stop for the day was Lake Wallace with
Baillon's Crake, Musk Duck and Great-crested Grebe.

Next morning we woke to a cool foggy morning. Capertee
has to be my all time favourite birding spot and it
didn't disappoint. Coco Creek produced White-bellied
Cuckoo-shrike, 3 Turquoise Parrot, Rainbow Bee-eater
and heard a Brush Cuckoo.
White-browed Babbler, Hooded Robin, Rufous Songlark,
Diamond Firetail and 4 more Turks were seen along
Crown Station Rd.
Back on the Glen Davis Rd a stop for Diamond Firetail
resulted in us seeing 4 Plum-headed Finch, 2 Brown
Quail and a Singing Bushlark.
A female Red-capped Robin was seen at the Glen Alice
turn off and further towards Glen Davis more Bushlark
and a White-backed Swallow. Last good bird for the
valley was a pair of White-browed Woodswallow.
We then headed through Rylstone, Mudgee to Munghorn
Gap. This spot is very, very dry at the moment. The
undergrowth has almost disappeared along Moolarben Rd
and bird life sparse. Very few honeyeaters and none of
the usual Yellow-tufteds. Only highlight was Speckled
Warbler.
Plumed Whistling-duck were at the usual spot near
Muswellbrook and still not happy we stopped at Ash
Island for greenshank, Marshies, Sharpies, stint and a
Brown Songlark along Wagtail Way.

Until next trip,
Grant Brosie
Raworth