birding-aus

help with heron id

To: Ben Bright <>
Subject: help with heron id
From: Michael Tarburton <>
Date: Tue, 2 Jan 2007 14:30:59 +1100
G'day Ben

In immature Pied Herons the white comes down a lot further than in the adult and is evident on the leading edge of the wings in one of my photos from PAU in PNG. The Morcombe Field Guide says size is the main identifier but also does not show the white on the wing - but I trust my photo as we used to get a lot of imm birds on the university campus.

Happy birding

Mike Tarburton