birding-aus

re Happy New Year

To: <>
Subject: re Happy New Year
From: "Alan Gillanders" <>
Date: Mon, 1 Jan 2007 13:15:34 +1000
G'day,
I meant to send this to the list and not just to John.

Since writing the message below I had lunch on the patio and added Figbird and
Pied Currawong to the list. An Eastern Yellow Robin was a pleasant surprise
when I stepped out for a bit of sun. The are resident 400 metres away but
rarely visit us. I also remembered that I had not added Emerald Dove and Common
Myna to the list. So have passed the thirty mark before I lie down for my
siesta.

"Like John I do not keep a year list, not much of a lister at all really. I
did start off 2006 with the intention of a year list but it fell by the
wayside.

"Having a cold I have not left the immediate surrounds of the house this
morning but this is the beginning of the year list for 2007 and probably it's
end as well.

Little Pied commorant
Black Duck
Green Pygmy Goose
White-faced Heron
Purple Swamphen
Buff-banded Landrail
Masked lapwing
Bush Thick-knee
Laughing Kookaburra
Rainbow Lorikeet
Scaley-breasted L.
Peaceful Dove
Bar-shouldered Dove
Common Koel
Rufous Whistler
Black-faced Monarch
Willy Wagtail
Varied Triller
Black Faced Cuckoo-shrike
Barred C-s
White-bellied C-s
Brown Gerygone
Fairy G
Brown Honeyeater
Macleay's H'e
Lewin's H'e
Noisy Friarbird (don't know where the Helmeted got to)
Magpie Lark

"Should be able to crack the thirty for the home list by the end of the day. As
the real estate people say; position, position, position.

"On the down side the butterflies are restricted in numbers and variety this
year. Fewer than six species in the garden most days. An aftermath of the
cyclone.

"Wishing you all, the best for the New Year but I do not have a reliable spot
for Buff-breasted Button-quail. There has been a rash of enquiries lately. If I
even had a half way decent spot I would be charging heaps of  money to take
twitchers there."

Regards,
Alan Gillanders

Alan's Wildlife Tours