birding-aus

Help! - Schodde translation?

Subject: Help! - Schodde translation?
Date: Fri, 22 Dec 2006 12:50:33 +1000
Greetings, all!
For a little light reading over the summer break, I'm into the opening chapters of Schodde & Mason's "Directory of Australain Birds: Passerines". However, there are a couple of paragraphs over which I've spent quite a time -- & still can't decipher them... Can anyone translate them into plain English for me? They are, in the Introduction:

- p.4, the sub-paras numbered (1) & (2).

I worked my way well enough into the comparisons drawn in para (1), but when it came to doing the multi-level comparison with & within para (2) -- well, I just can't get it, even with reference to the main text.

Any help appreciated.
Thanks,
Judith.