birding-aus

Heat, Bushlarks and Crests

To: Philip Veerman <>
Subject: Heat, Bushlarks and Crests
From: Ricki Coughlan <>
Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2006 15:01:10 +1100
Hi Phillip

I might have misread your posting but I don't think that anyone is suggesting that the crest feathers on the bushlark (or any other species) were somehow acting as little conductors or "heat sinks". Feathers just don't work that way.

I don't think that anyone is saying that the crest feathers on the bushlarks are modified to form a longer crest in any way either. Rather, the suggestion is that by raising feathers, especially around apteria - feather free patches - that some heat transfer takes place, resulting in cooling (as long as the surrounding air is not hotter than the bird's body temperature, which is around 40 to as much as 44 degrees, as I recall). This is known as "ptilorection".

There appears to be evidence that crest raising in Singing Bushlarks takes place in hot weather in conjunction with "panting" and nobody has yet stated that they have witnessed this species raising its crest in cool weather. This may mean that they are raising their crest feathers as a type of ptiloerection.

At least that is my take on the discussion.

Happy birding

Ricki
Belrose, Sydney