birding-aus

Heat, Bushlarks and Crests

To: <>, <>, <>
Subject: Heat, Bushlarks and Crests
From: "Peter Madvig" <>
Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2006 23:29:21 +1100
Hi,
Further to Peter Fuller's query, when last month on 80 Mile Beach ( that's in North-west Australia) with the Australian Wader Studies Group, the hot wind blowing from the East resulted in 46 degrees, Singing Bushlarks (and a female Crimson Chat plus Black-eared Cuckoo on one occasion) came in to shelter beneath our vehicles, they raised crests and panted, just like on Peter's excellent photos. We were that close to them, binos were not required.

When the incoming tide brought the sea breeze, temperatures dropped to a blissful 34 or so degrees in 30 odd minutes!!

Cheers,
Peter M.