birding-aus

RFI: Vic Mallee Areas

To: "Drew Fulton" <>, "Birding-Aus" <>
Subject: RFI: Vic Mallee Areas
From: "Tim Dolby" <>
Date: Fri, 8 Dec 2006 12:39:42 +1100
FYI, here's a few ideas.

Black Honeyeater and White-fronted Honeyeater are currently at Gama near the
corner of Gama Sea Lake Rd & Sunraysia Hwy.

Redthroat can be seen on the Discovery Walk in Southern Wyperfeld (possibly the
only reliable site in Victoria). You can see them in the small tea tree
dominated valley just before you reach Lake Brambruk.

Malleefowl are sometimes seen at the Wirrengren Plain Track in North Wyperfeld
and on the Dattuck Track in South Wyperfeld (park 100 metre up from the Ring Rd
and look there). There is currently a pair of Striped Honeyeater at the
Casuarina Campground in Northern Wyperfeld. (Also along the Murray.) Also good
for all the mallee parrots and Splendid Fairy-wren. Sometime Crimson Chat along
Meridian Rd.

Red-lored Whistler can be seen west of Wymlet Tank (really a dam) on Honeymoon
Hut Tk, 4.7 kilometres west of the intersection of Meridian Rd. The bird is
usually seen on the north side of the track. You can get to this site from two
directions: 1. via the excellent Trinita Tk (a good birding spot and strangely
not shown in the NP guide), which heads west from the Calder Hwy 15 km south of
Hattah. Follow this track for approx. 20 km, then turn left into Galah North
Rd, and then right into the Honeymoon Hut Tk, which takes you past Wymlet Tank
(a dam), and then past Meridian Rd intersection; or 2. From Walpeup via the
Meridian Rd, and then left into the Honeymoon Hut Tk for 4.7 km. Both tracks
are ok for 2WD. Last time I was there, there was 1000s of White-browed and
Masked Woodswallow at the Tank itself.

Striated Grasswren, Mallee Emu-wren & Spotted Nightjar can be seen at the
beginning (when entering from the south) of the Nowingi Track in Hattah-Kulkyne
National Park. Check either side of the track.

There is currently a pair of Striped Honeyeater at the Casuarina Campground in
Northern Wyperfeld. (Also along the Murray.) Also good for all the mallee
parrots and Splendid Fairy-wren. Sometime Crimson Chat along Meridian Rd.

White-browed Treecreeper and Gilbert Whistler at Yarrara, just south of the
Wheat silo.

At Lake Tyrell (when entered near Salt Lake) you should see Orange Chat, Rufous
Calamanthus, White-winged Fairy-wren, Black-faced Woodswallow, Brown Songlark
and Blue-winged Parrot. Check in saltbush plantation area just to the north of
the lookout. The Chats are on the right hand side of the (racing) track that
leads east from the lookout.

Regent Parrot, Major Mitchell and Apostlebird can be seen the Hattah
Campground. Check for Regents in the River Reds near the top toilet block.

Two areas in the Little Desert are good for Slender-billed Thornbill. Salt Lake
on the Salt Lake Track, but please note that this track in is very sandy and
access is 4x4. Also the Banksia heathland bordering farmland on the Harrow
Nhill Road, approximately 2 km south of the Stringybark Walk is good for
Slender-billed Thornbill, Shy Hylacola and Rufous Calamanthus.

A couple of areas of mallee/broombush in the Little Desert are good for
Purple-gaped Honeyeater. Immediately to the west of the Sanctuary Nature Walk
(near the entrance to the Kiata Campground on the Kiata South Road); and also
at the water bore 2 km south of the Kiata Campsite (accessed via the Salt Lake
Track).

Cheers,

Tim Dolby