birding-aus

What birds feed on Grevillea robusta?

To: <>
Subject: What birds feed on Grevillea robusta?
From: "Rod Cox & Linda Sulakatku" <>
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2006 21:01:19 +1000
We live in a relatively inner suburb of Brisbane.  Our Grevillia robusta
never has copious flowers, but it is regularly visited by feeding birds.
The main birds seen feeding at the flowers are the usual suspects in the
suburb: Rainbow Lorikeets, Blue-faced Honeyeaters, Noisy and Little
Friarbirds, and Noisy Miners.  I expect that Brown Honeyeaters and
Silvereyes, which are often in the garden, will also access the flowers
discretely, although there is not much cover for small birds while it is
flowering.  At night, the fruit bats visit every night during the
flowering season.  I expect that the visiting Ringtail and Brushtail
possums will also feed on the flowers.

The tree is taller than those in surrounding gardens and is used by many
other birds throughout the year for singing and perching.

Linda

Message: 1