birding-aus

Fires on Gluepot

To: "Birding Aus" <>
Subject: Fires on Gluepot
From: "Peter Waanders" <>
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2006 20:40:57 +1030
Hi everyone,

Following lighting strikes yesterday a number of fires continue to burn in
the large mallee reserves north of the Murray River in South Australia,
including Birds Australia's Gluepot Reserve. Today, driving along the Sturt
Highway west towards Waikerie it looked like there was just one massive wall
of smoke on the northern horizon. I've placed a (rather poor) picture (taken
with my phone) on my website (below). For a while today, Waikerie was
blanketed in smoke.

Fire units from five local towns & two dozers/loaders on site plus a large
number of fire fighters have been battling the blazes for the best part of
the day. This morning's aerial surveillance indicated that there were three
active fires on Gluepot itself, and another one on Taylorville Station just
south of the reserve.

Aerial reports from this evening say that the Gluepot fires are "reasonably
inactive."  As a consequence in the late afternoon all fire-fighters moved
south into Taylorville where there is a high priority fire in danger of
jumping the road and entering Gluepot.

The reserve is obviously closed and signs have been placed at the entrances.
Weather conditions have ameliorated as night draws on but the forecast for
the next two days is temperatures close to 40C and strong winds.

Please do not contact the rangers unless absolutely necessary as they are
flat out assisting the fire crews. I am trying to keep up to date with the
situation and will provide updates to b-a.

Cheers

Peter Waanders
Waikerie, South Australia
mob.: 0407 800264
SA Birding: http://www.sabirding.com
E-mail1:
E-mail2:

********* This email and any attachments may be confidential and legally
privileged.
Please notify the sender immediately if you received this message in error.
Please do not delete or alter this notice.