birding-aus

Southern Limit of the Pheasant Coucal

To: "alan morris" <>, "Birding-aus (E-mail)" <>
Subject: Southern Limit of the Pheasant Coucal
From: "Philip Veerman" <>
Date: Thu, 23 Nov 2006 18:56:25 +1100
Hi Alan,

This is my response just sent to the  (along
with some other messages to that list. I did not see where it went to BA):

Sorry but I suggest there is a little confusion in this discussion. Pheasant
Coucal is a large terrestrial cuckoo. I doubt the bird seen is a Pheasant
Coucal. Like Ian, I suggest lyrebird or even an escaped domestic pheasant (any
of various possible species) is more likely (depending on what the observer
actually saw). Also "Pheasant-tailed Coucal" seems to be confusing names
between Pheasant-tailed Jacana (which it surely isn't) and Pheasant Coucal. As
for Caroline's comparison with koel and channel-billed cuckoos, it is not such
a strong link. There is a big difference as these other two are strong fliers
and are long-distance migrants that would normally arrive close to our region.

Philip