birding-aus

East Gippsland, Victoria

Subject: East Gippsland, Victoria
From: <>
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2006 14:19:21 +1100
Hi all,

Following on from Joy Tansey, Frank Pierce (thank you both) and others I headed
off to East Gippsland last weekend. The weather was superb and the fearful Bass
Strait was absolutely flat with small waves lapping gently on the long empty
beaches.

The trip started well on Saturday with a tick for a Cicadabird just north of
Bruthen on the road to Buchan followed by a Spotted Quail-thrush and Rose
Robins on the road from Buchan to Orbost.

Sunday I spent south of the Princes Highway and found, at Yeerung River, my
first Ground Parrot since 1974. The sighting initiated a sqeal of joy and a bit
of a jig, followed by the euphoric rush that only a special bird sighting can
bring on. Even now, 3 days later, the memory makes me smile.

Southern Emu-wrens were also at Yerung, and Eastern Whipbirds were everywhere,
along with my first Brush Bronzewings for the year. Next stop was Cabbage Tree
Palms Reserve and here there were many more firsts for my Victorian 2006 list
including Topknot Pigeons, Large-billed Scrubwren, Brown Gerygone, and more
Whipbirds.

Monday was spent heading home via the mouth of the Snowy River where Little
Terns were fishing and preening in the foggy morning light, a single Curlew
wandered around on a sand bank and a Black-faced Monarch showed itself on
Kayleys Bridge on the way back to the highway. At Fairy Dell, north of Bruthen,
I found more Black-faced Monarchs and a group of Scarlet Honeyeaters.

All up I saw, over a very gentle long weekend of birding, 104 species in the
triangle between Marlo, Buchan and the Yeerung River.

All the best

Jen