birding-aus

Starlings gliding

To: <>
Subject: Starlings gliding
From: "ANDREW ADCOCK" <>
Date: Sun, 19 Nov 2006 09:29:16 -0000
Hi all,
one final note on this behaviour.

Lee Hervey tells of birds gliding and landing on power lines.  This is totally
usual, Starlings always have a short glide before landing but the hawking of
insects is a different behaviour and as suggested by John Leonard, is an
adaptation implemented when an alternative food source is available i.e flying
insects.

I have to add that I have never seen Starlings hawking low like Woodswallows
sometimes do, not even at tree top height, they have always been very high up
with Swifts and Hirundines.  This maybe to do with the fact that they are not
quite so manouverable as the Swifts etc and need more area to hunt without fear
of collision?

All the best, Andy.