birding-aus

White-eared Monarch behaviour

To: <>
Subject: White-eared Monarch behaviour
From: "Rex & Jan Fisher" <>
Date: Sun, 19 Nov 2006 15:12:27 +1100
Yesterday I was looking at some regeneration of lantana infested rainforest
areas north of Mullumbimby with the Brunswick Valley Landcare Group when the
regenerator, a keen birder, picked up the calls of White-eared Monarchs
which he often hears around that area.  There was at least an adult pair and
an immature but I was wondering about the apparent display behaviour of one
bird. Whilst perched it rapidly spread its wings out sideways and held them
for several seconds. It repeated it several times. I had a back view so
couldn't tell if it was actually calling or doing anything else. Does anyone
know if this is a territorial or breeding display? I don't have HANZAB to
check it out.

I have also seen them in 10-12 year old patch of regenerating rainforest in
Billinudgel Nature Reserve

We are starting to use the group's website to encourage appreciation of
local birds (and eventually store information) so would appreciate any
knowledge I can get, particularly given this species' vulnerable status. It
could be a great icon for some of this regeneration work and a source of
pride for the landholders involved. Thanks in anticipation.

Rex Fisher