birding-aus

Starlings imitating Woodswallows

To: "John Leonard" <>, "Philip Veerman" <>
Subject: Starlings imitating Woodswallows
From: "Ruskies" <>
Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2006 12:02:53 +1100
Hi All
I've never seen this hawking by Starlings anywhere else but in Canberra
I'm curious to know if this 'hawking"  started on a local basis and then began spreading ?.   I personally first seen this happening app 6 yrs ago on Canberra Ave in the Kingston area. I know here in my area of tassie the starlings are almost as adept at gathering nectar from blooms as the Honeyeaters.
    As for the Magpie behavior, I once witnessed an attack on a starling by a Magpie, where the maggie had stooped on the terrified starling. I say terrified because it was its screaming that made me look up. It struck the starling , which plummeted into the long grass beside me, where it lay hidden until the Magpie had flown away. .It then emerged  and flew away itself,apparetly unharmed.
         This was in a large open paddock ,  I don't know if this happened in such close proximity to me by accident or design by the starling trying to gain some protection from me. Which would be even more strange as I didn't even know the bird!
 Cheers
Bob Rusk

Sent: Monday, November 13, 2006 8:46 AM
Subject: [canberrabirds] Starlings imitating Woodswallows

Yes John,
I have noticed this over at least several years. Not sure starting from when. It is curious. They are a similar shape, especially in the wings.
Philip