birding-aus

Trip Armidale to Gluepot and back

To: "" <>
Subject: Trip Armidale to Gluepot and back
From: Penny Brockman <>
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2006 00:34:41 +1100
Dear all

Took 10 days with John Clifton-Everest to drive to and from Armidale, stopping at Forbes, Hattah-Kulkyne on the way there, and Renmark, Leeton, Cowra and Goulburn River Nat.Park on the way back. 3 nights/4 days in Gluepot which is looking great despite the drought. I was last there in Oct 2002 and great progress has been made with filling in the remaining open dams, erecting bird hides and drinking troughs, fencing and furnishing the Information Centre. It's a credit to Duncan and the Management Committee. Anyway, below is short report on highlights of trip

Parkes Sewage works 3.11.06 - 5 Black-tailed Native Hens, 4 Latham Snipe, Glossy Ibis, White-browed Wood Swallows breeding. More birds in ponds over the back out of sight.

Dunn Swamp Forbes 4.11.06 - Pair Peregrines and pair Sea-eagles sitting in dead trees, nice number Pink-eared duck, 7 Yellow-billed Spoonbills, 2 Glossy Ibis, Too many starlings and feral pigeons.

Hattah-Kulkyne National Park, 4 & 5.11.06 - good water in Maunpall and Hattah lakes, but the young Red Gums circling each lake make viewing the water difficult - however at least 25 Blue-billed Ducks on Hattah. 12 Major Mitchells, Hobby, Whistling Kite, Hooded Robin, Splendid Fairywrens, lots of Masked and White-browed Wood Swallows, Grey Butcher-birds fledged 2 chicks at our camp site, Barn Owl, Yellow-billed Spoonbills, Regent Parrots, Southern Boobook and Emu. Also a large and beautiful Sand Goanna. But no Mallee Emu-Wrens - 3rd attempt!!! We had to guard our food from the residents - a pack of White-winged Choughs only too keen to jump on the table and eat anything left uncovered.

Murray Sunset entry west of Hattah - extremely dry and we didn't have time to explore beyond 10 k.

Gluepot - missed out on Malleefowl (again) and this time on Red-lored Whistler, and of course the Scarlet-chested Parrot. Super and frequent views of S.Scrubrobins (with juveniles), Striated Grass-wrens (1 group with very small chicks with pin feathers), Red-capped Robin with juvenile, Regent Parrots, Brown Goshawk, Mulga and Ring-neck parrots at Whistler tank and everywhere, lots of White-browed Tree-creepers, 3 separate sightings of pairs Gilbert's Whistler, 1 of Shy Heathwren, Black-eared Miners, Crested Bellbirds, something like 50 Common Bronzewings at Grasswren tank late arvo, and all the other more common types, as well as a Sand Goanna at Babbler campsite. The Grey Currawongs all looked extremely scruffy - good views at the drinking troughs.

Returning - Spotted Harrier 86km west of Hay on Hay Plains, 41 Emu west of Hay and only 1 east of Hay.

As we approached Narrandera we saw lots of Glossy Ibis feeding in the rice paddies (all that water!!!!).

Leeton and Fivebough 10th/11th Nov - 1000s of Glossy Ibis and Grey Teal. Lower numbers of Shelduck, 2 Wood Sandpipers, 1 Aust.Bittern, lots of Red-kneed Dotterels with chicks, Swamp Harriers, a few Avocet, Baillons, Spotted and Australian Crakes. And all the other to be expected wetland birds. On the 11th around 8.30am at the back of the swamp with the sun behind us, witnessed skeins of Glossy Ibis fly overhead, then many drop down into some rice paddies behind. Here 3 men were at work adjusting the water level, one had a gun and fired 3 shots bringing down two ibis, and sending all the others straight back to Fivebough. In the nearest paddy, a large flock (100) of feeding Whiskered Tern paid no attention, but a mass of waders (Sharpies) and stilts took off back to Fivebough. 1 Avocet remained feeding. Any one visiting I recommend go to the main entrance and walk the paths through the reeds late afternoon as you then have the sun behind you although morning is OK from the Ponds hide on the south side, and drive around the back side road (Fivebough Road) for morning viewing into the ephemeral areas near the sewage works or from the Hooey Road viewing point. It's a wonderful place for the wetland enthusiast.

Cowra - to see the Superb Parrots, which we did - at least 45 on the Lachlan River Way between 5.45 and 6.15pm, all flying up the road through the huge trees that line it here, sometimes stopping but all heading south/south-east - I wonder if they roost communally? Next day they were returning the other way. Then more next day as we drove along the Lachlan valley north-east. Lots of gums in flower. Country got dryer and dryer the further we drove - dust, bare paddocks, cattle on the stock routes.

Goulburn River National Park 12/13 Nov - Glossy Black Cockatoos, pair Bee-eaters with the male feeding insects to the female. A Gerygone was calling - to me sounded like Western compared with my local Gloucester White-throated songs, but can't be sure.At night Tawny Frogmouth and Barn Owl called. Two Wedgies were driven off by the resident Sulphur-crested Cockatoos. Lots of Kangaroos keeping the grass very very sort.

The weather was overcast, spots of rain with strong hot gusty wind with what looked like a threatening dust storm from the west, not good birding conditions, so next day back to Armidale to leave John and retrieve my car - as we approached Scone it got GREEN again, and then rain south of Walcha.

A great trip but I still need that Mallee Emu-wren.