birding-aus

Fig Parrot species

To: <>
Subject: Fig Parrot species
From: Syd Curtis <>
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2006 07:28:12 +1000
DNA analysis would answer a lot of questions about the fig-parrot complex
... providing material for analysis is available.  And it would bring us to
the question of phylogenetic species v. biological species.

Schodde & Mason, in their "Directory of Australian Birds - Passerines"
introduction, (para (4) on page 2), contrast biological species and
phylogenetic species concepts, biological being what we have now.   And they
reckon adoption of phylogenetic (desirable though this may be) would "bring
a degree of chaos to conventional classification of the Australian
avifauna".  They continue:

    "This comes not so much from a dearth of robust phylogenies (Christidis
& Boles 1994) as from its effect in raising most present subspecies to the
level of species, almost doubling the size of the fauna at species level.
And all 'species' would have to be re-circumscribed according to new
criteria.  Administrative consequences, in government and the legislature a
well as biology, would be daunting."

But if our Australian society is ever to be really serious about conserving
biodiversity, phylogenetic 'species' surely are what we must seek to
conserve?

Cheers.

Syd

["Almost doubling the size of the fauna at species level" - do I hear all
you twitchers, cheering?]