birding-aus

Fig Parrot Link

Subject: Fig Parrot Link
From: "Peter Ewin" <>
Date: Sun, 12 Nov 2006 15:13:38 +1100
Here is the link to the article mentioned by Mike Carter.

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,10117,20737070-421,00.html?from=public_rss

This article raises the concerns that I had with the location of the sighting being kept secret. Whether or not the bird is a new species or a Coxen's Fig-parrot, the CFP Recovery Team should be provided with the location, to allow for the overall protection of the species (if the site is under threat then even more so). The Recovery Team collates records, and unlike some other vetting groups, consider most of the recent records genuine. If the location is being kept secret to prevent bird-watchers trashing the site then fair enough. However, if the site becomes a stop on one of Mr. Youngs tours, and isn't made available to others then I would have some concerns. My personal guess (based on absolutely no evidence other than biogeography) is that it is a full plumaged male Coxen's Fig-parrot.
Cheers,
Peter