birding-aus

the 4th fig-parrot

To: Birding-aus <>
Subject: the 4th fig-parrot
From: "John Leonard" <>
Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2006 10:43:42 +1100
I agree that John shouldn't reveal where the Blue-fronted Fig-Parrots are,
but it might make more sense if there are both Coxen's Fig-Parrots AND
Blue-fronted Fig-Parrots in the SE Qld/far north NSW area if they were
geographically separated, ie if the Blue-fronted were in the Border Ranges
and the Fig-Parrots further north were Coxen's (or vice versa).

On the other hand there's no reason why they couldn't be sympatric (the
result of a 'double-invasion' with the Blue-fronteds being the earlier
invasion and more differentiated than the later Coxen's). In this case they
would never have been in large enough numbers to out-compete each other, or
they had some sort of resource partitioning.

John Leonard