birding-aus

Buff-banded Rail in Flight

To: Birding Aus <>
Subject: Buff-banded Rail in Flight
From: L&L Knight <>
Date: Mon, 6 Nov 2006 20:39:56 +1000
I've placed a picture of a BB Rail in flight on the Australasian Bird Image Database - http://www.aviceda.org/abid/index.php - taken on the West Island of Ashmore Reef.

There is a thriving colony of rails there, and they take to the air far more readily than the ones I see round SEQ and tend to fly a fair way once they get airborne. The interesting thing with the rail that I photographed, is that in contrast to the trailing legs description & picture in P&K, the bird's legs were up and marginally projecting beyond the tail tip. The discrepancy is possibly due to the difference between short and longer distance flight.

Regards, Laurie.