birding-aus

White blackbirds and other birds

To: "Peter Shute (NUW)" <>,
Subject: White blackbirds and other birds
From: brian fleming <>
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2006 14:10:37 +1000

We have often had Blackbirds with white feathers (back, tail, breast or wings) around the place in Ivanhoe (Vic). Museum Victoria has a pure white Blackbird specimen, very beautiful, and an almost all-white Song Thrush specimen, with the breast speckles and no other colour (I believe this one was captured as a chick and survived for years in an aviary). There used to be Willie Wagtails with part-albinism at the WTP stockyards, and last March I saw a part-white Welcome Swallow at Paradise Road. Very striking. I have seen several white or part-white Magpies, and photographed one, which looked remarkably like a stray plastic bag in a paddock. A few years back we had an abnormal Common Mynah with very pale brown feathers - like very milky coffee - at Banksia St Bridge, Heidelberg. All these are passerines, but I believe albinism or leucism can crop up in any species.

Peter Shute (NUW) wrote:

I've recently been seeing a blackbird with some white tail feathers, here in Altona, Melbourne. I've also seen a couple of blackbirds over the last 20 years or so that were all white. At least they looked, acted and sounded like blackbirds. How common are these variations?

Peter Shute