birding-aus

Blackbirds in central western NSW

To: David Siems <>, BIRDING-AUS <>
Subject: Blackbirds in central western NSW
From: Mick Roderick <>
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2006 20:02:23 -0700 (PDT)
Graham,

Steve R and I saw a Blackbird at Aroona Dam, near Leigh Creek SA, in 2000. This
was the year that Lake Eyre filled and hundreds of people (ourselves included)
travelled out there to see the goings on. The last thing we expected to see was
a Blackbird! So it's interesting that Anthea mentioned the original expansion
of Blackbirds coinciding with the earlier filling in the 70's.

From my experience, Blackbirds have been resident in Cobar for a few years now
(i've seen them there regularly since my first visit in 1996).

They can't seem to get a hold in the Hunter Region, with only scattered records
in a handfull of areas, including suburban Newcastle.

Mick