birding-aus

Blackbirds in central western NSW

To: "Baus" <>
Subject: Blackbirds in central western NSW
From: "Graham Turner" <>
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2006 16:07:35 +1000
G'day birders, as mentioned earlier I went to Parkes in central western NSW
last week. I was a little surprised to see so many blackbirds hopping around
the gardens in town, the first one caused me to stop for a second look because
it just didn't seem right. The reason I found it odd was that growing up in
nearby Forbes (a much nicer town, or so the Forbes - Parkes rivalry requires me
to say) I never saw any blackbirds. In the 70s I had to go somewhere wetter,
like Orange or somewhere where people used their sprinklers too often, like
Wagga Wagga to see these introduced songsters.

But oh how things have changed, and I shouldn't have been too surprosed. Last
year I saw some in Ivanhoe, central NSW. This is the last place I would have
expected to see them, very dry. Does anyone have record for this species
further west? Or does anyone know if the birds dispersed during a wet season or
is it just a slow expansion.

Thanks
Graham Turner