birding-aus

October birds

Subject: October birds
From: "Bill Jolly" <>
Date: Sun, 15 Oct 2006 15:55:57 +1000
Having at last raised my head from updating the website, I find that our
full complement of summer migrants is back.

In particular:

Koels, which are often heard calling at night before one actually gets to
see them again, as is the case again this year;

Channel-billed Cuckoos, which have been in the area for several weeks, but
took at least two weeks to make it the kilometre or so down the road to us
from our friend's fruiting Moreton Bay Fig;

Dollarbirds, only just returned here in the last week;

Sacred Kingfishers, which disappear locally, but not altogether from the
region. Now courting noisily, and plunging into the water near the house
most afternoons;

Rainbow Bee-eaters, which leave us for a while in autumn, though are always
somewhere in the valley, even turning up at home in mid-winter, and which
are all around us again now in noisy and colouful numbers;

Pallid Cuckoo, Horsfields Bronze-cuckoo and Little Bronze-cuckoo have all
been calling here over the last couple of weeks;

Spectacled Monarchs were back on 8th September and a Black-faced Monarch
turned up in the garden on 2nd October.

Also on 2nd October, late afternoon, a party of about 30 Plum-headed Finches
flew over the garden, on their way to the nearest communal roost I'd guess.
Parties of that size will appear from all different directions to join up
with a bigger roosting group at some favoured spot. I'll keep my eyes and
ears open in the late afternoons to see if there are other groups about.

On 3rd October three Yellow-tailed Black Cockatoos dropped into the
creekside casuarinas. Our regular Black Cockie here is the Red-tailed - we
get them year-round, but we get more Glossy Blacks than we do Yellow-tailed.
The last time we had Yellow-tailed Black Cockatoos in the garden was in
1989! They are more common along some parts of the Toowoomba escarpment.
We're not so used to their screeching, and for the three days they were here
I kept thinking I heard a raptor calling loudly, only to realise it was
these noisy unusual visitors.

Bill Jolly

"Abberton",
Lockyer Valley, Queensland.

(27º 34' 21" S; 152º 08' 21" E)

Visit our website at www.abberton.org

Thousands of sexy singles online
http://a.ninemsn.com.au/b.aspx?URL=http%3A%2F%2Flavalife9%2Eninemsn%2Ecom%2Eau%2Fclickthru%2Fclickthru%2Eact%3Fid%3Dninemsn%26context%3Dan99%26locale%3Den%5FAU%26a%3D23768&_t=754951090&_r=endtext_lavalife_oct_1000&_m=EXT