birding-aus

Australia part II

Subject: Australia part II
Date: Sun, 15 Oct 2006 00:22:57 -0400
Hi all,

Here is part II of a trip made by me and girlfriend (and still ongoing until 1
december). Main aim was to see my missing Australian species. My last mail
dated from 17 september.

18 September

Today we took a stroll with towards the Coorong (South of Adelaide near
Goolwa). The first stop was at Mt Compass and over here I quickly went to the
boardwalk opposite the school. Here I quickly found my target the Mt Lofty
subspecies of the Southern Emu-wren. Also here and in the surrounding while
driving Peregrine, Goldfinch, Silvereye and some Yellow-tailed Black Cockatoos.
At the Coorong and Hindmarsh Island we recorded during the day 100-s of Cape
Barren Geese, Purple-gaped Honeyeater, Grey Shrike-thrush, Red-capped Plover,
Whiskered Terns, Red Wattlebirds, Great Crested Grebe, Sharp-tailed Sandpiper,
Red-necked Stint and many more commoner species. A Blue-tongue Lizard was a
nice reptile to find while here.

20 September

Today we headed to the south from Adelaide and I had a quick stop at Monarto
NP. During a short stroll I recorded * Yellow-rumped Pardalote (1) and two *
Southern Scrub-robins. Other nice birds where several Shy Heathwrens,
Tawny-crowned Honeyeaters, Hooded Robins, Silvereye and Chestnut-crowned
Babblers. A stop then in the southern part of the Coorong at Salt Creek
Crossing produced soon *Rufous Bristlebird (2+) and an unexpected *Beautiful
Firetail. Other birds here included a nice Spotless Crake, Buff-rumped
Thornbill, Brown-headed Honeyeater, Splendid Fairy-wren, White-browed Babbler,
Superb Fairy-wren, Collared Sparrowhawk and Black-fronted Plover. An afternoon
sea-watch off Robe produced a nice Little Shearwater (1), *Southern Giant
Petrel (1), Short-tailed Shearwater, Black-browed & Yellow-nosed Albatross,
Rufous Bristlebird (10+), Australian Gannet, Black-faced Cormorant, Buff-rumped
Thornbill.

21 September

An early morning sea-watch (like yesterday at the lighthouse) produced nearly
the same like yesterday. I recorded Wandering Albatross (1), Fluttering
Shearwater, White-bellied Sea-eagle as extra species. And at the several walks
around the lighthouse Rufous Bristlebird is easy to hear but hard to see. On
our way to Port Fairy I noticed several *Forest Raven, Crimson Rosella at near
Mt Gambier large flocks of Yellow-tailed Black Cockatoos. At Port Fairy around
Griffiths Island and a sea-watch produced Fluttering Shearwater, Short-tailed
Shearwater, Shy Albatross, Black-browed Albatross (both melanophrys and
impavida), Southern Giant Petrel (3 including a complete white morph), Ruddy
Turnstone, Pied and Variable Oystercatcher, White-fronted Chat, Red-necked
Stint, Sharp-tailed Sandpiper and Pacific Gull (2). At the camping in Port
fairy there was an Australian Hobby, Goldfinch and Horsfield’s Bronze Cuckoo.

22 September

Again an early morning sea-watch off Griffiths Island produced many Shy
Albatross (cauta)(50+) and nearly 100+ of both races of Black-browed Albatross,
Fluttering Shearwater (1), Southern Giant petrel (5), Pacific Gull (2),
Red-necked Stint, Sharp-tailed Sandpiper, Chestnut Teal and many more commoner
species. The next stop was at Towerhill Reserve just west of Warrambool. Here
we recorded no less then 20+ Koalas, Red-browed Firetail, Golden Whistler and
Brown Falcon. Several stops along the Great Ocean Route produced at Lorch Arch
10+ Rufous Bristlebirds, Superb Fairywren, at London Bridge Black-browed
Albatross, *Striated Heathwren at The Grotto and at the Bay of Islands two Shy
Albatrosses. During driving we recorded Cattle Egret, Bell Miner, Glossy Ibis
and Peregrine.

23 September

At Aireys Inlet around the lighthouse we recorded several Black-browed
Albatrosses, Rufous Bristlebirds and two Blue-winged Parrots.
With Albert Vrielink who lives in Melbourne and his girlfriend Anke we saw
somewhere around their house at Eltham 2 Koala’s and several Red-rumped Parrots
and Yellow-faced Honeyeaters.

25 September

Birding in the early hours with Albert at King lake gave a nice male Superb
Lyrebird, King Parrot, Crested Shrike Tit, Scarlet Robin, Eastern Yellow Robin,
Grey Fantail, Eastern Spinebill, Spotted Pardalote and Grey Butcherbird away.
Also stunning was a Short-beaked Echidna. A search around Yellingbo State
Forest for Helmeted Honeyeater sadly failed (as in 2002 I saw it easily here).
Despite the miss we recorded a good variety on other birds like Rufous and
Golden Whistler, White-faced Heron, Eastern Yellow Robin, White-throated
Treecreeper, Yellow-faced Honeyeater, White-eared Honeyeater, White-plumed
Honeyeater, White-naped Honeyeater, Grey and Pied Butcherbird and Grey
Currawong. Stunning was the second Short-beaked Echidna for the day.

26 September

A long day of driving with several Long-billed Corella along the route north of
Carlton, also some Blue Bonnets here. A stop at the Pink lakes at Murray Sunset
NP brought us Major Mitchell Cockatoo (1), Black Falcon (1), Blue Bonnet,
Crested Bellbird and Emu (8).

27 September

As part of a round-trip though Australia, I went out on several days with Peter
Waanders who lives in Waikerie and runs Southern Birding Services. On 27
September I did some general birding in the surroundings off Waikerie, by tips
from Peter and previous experiences. In a surrounding private property we
located quickly the local Malleefowl at they active mount. The mount has
changed locations in the past years, as it is the case with other Malleefowl,
so up to date information is required to see a Malleefowl. Also in the private
sanctuary we recorded a Barn Owl (scared of it’s possible nest), some
displaying Varied Sitella’s and several more common species like Rainbow
Bee-eater, Hooded Robin, Grey Fantail, Weebill, Chestnut-rumped Thornbill,
Inland Thornbill and White-fronted Honeyeater. Afterwards we headed towards
Hart’s Lagoon in the outskirts of Waikerie and the Ramco Lagoon. The search for
the elusive Freckled Duck sadly failed, although they should be around here.
Also we missed out on Banded Stilt that I recorded on several previous visits.
But despite that the birding was successful and brought us nice birds like
Hoary-headed Grebe, White-faced Heron, Purple Gallinule, Caspian Tern,
Whiskered Tern, both Royal and Yellow-billed Spoonbill, Wood Sandpiper, Swamp
Harrier, Zebra Finch, Australian Shelduck, Grey Teal, Australian Shoveler,
Hardhead, Red-necked Avocet, Red-rumped Parrot, Australian Reed-warbler,
Variegated Fairy-wren, Southern White-face and White-fronted Chat. At dusk we
went out spotlighting and soon we found our first target unexpected of a nice
Short-beaked Echidna, a species now high on the whish list of Danitsja. Also at
the bridge of Blancetown where we saw this nice mammal we recorded loads of
waterbirds, like Australian pelicans and various cormorants. We also saw here
Whistling Kites and Black Kites. On a spot nearby we quickly located the severe
suffered Southern Hairy-nosed Wombats, as the most where wiped out by diseases.
We recorded in total five wombats, and several had symptoms of the disease
(mange). Also we recorded few Western Grey Kangaroo’s and Red Kangaroo’s
(including young one’s). Around Waikerie during the day we recorded Grey
Shrike-thrush, Collared Sparrowhawk, Crimson Rosella and Spotted Turtle Dove.

28 September

We woke up early and set our car in the direction for Gluepot. As Peter is well
known we soon located the best birding spots here. As my main target was the
search for Scarlet-chested Parrot (Not seen for several weeks ore maybe months
reliable a hard chace) and to see Black-eared Miner. The other specialities at
Gleupot like Red-lored Whistler, Gilbert’s Whistler and so on I already
recorded in previous visits. We searched for a long time at several spots, but
despite our efforts we where not rewarded. Anyway the birds where good and we
recorded at least 20+ Striated Grasswrens (seems like every suitable patch of
Spinifex holds some birds), two pure Black-eared Miners and several hybrids,
Shy Heathwren (1), Southern Scrub Robin (2), Chestnut Quail-Thrush (5) and many
more common birds like Hooded Robin, Mulga Parrot, Crested Bellbird,
Horsfield’s Bronze Cuckoo, White-fronted Honeyeater, Mallee Ringneck,
Chestnut-crowned and White-browed Babbler, Brown Treecreeper, Brown-headed
Honeyeater, Chestnut-rumped Thornbill, Southern Whiteface, Apostlebird and
Australian Raven. As mammals we recorded Euro, Red Kangaroo and Western Grey
Kangaroo.

29 September

In the morning we located around Waikerie a singing male Gilbert's Whistler and
few Purple-crowned Lorikeets.

30 september

In the early morning the Gilbert's Whistler was singing again. We went up to
the Flinder's Ranges and within 5 minutes after arrival we already saw few
Short-tailed Grasswrens flipping thru the spinifex. Many more commoner species
where encountered like Elegant Parrot, Sacred Kingfisher and so on. Nice
mammals included 3 Yellow-footed Rock Wallaby and Euro's.

1 Oktober

And early morning search 26 kms north of Lyndhurst produced in 1,5 hours all
targets including two groups of Chestnut-breasted Whitefaces (10+4),
Thick-billed Grasswren (4), Cinnamon Quail-thrush (1) and many Rufous
Heathwrens. During driving we also encountered Pied Honeyeater, Gibberbird (4),
Chirruping Wedgebill and few more common species. At Montecollina Bore I
recorded 3 Eyrean Grasswren within 45 minutes, later we even saw one crossing
the track beyond Merty Merty station. While driving to Tibooburra we came
across a flock of 22 Inland Dotterels.

2 oktober

In the early morning we where on our way to Adelaide Gate, and soon when we
entered suitable habitat we found at least two Grey Grasswrens. Also here
Orange Chat and some other birds. At a waterbore at Tibooburra we found
Bourke's Parrots, Chrimsons Chats, Red-backed Kingfisher.

4 oktober

At Adelaide in Black Hill reserve I found Chestnut-rumped Heathwren. At the
drive back several Regent parrots could be found.

5 oktober

Few Regent parrots and a single Musk Duck at Banrock Station.

6 Oktober

At The arid botanical gardens in Port Augusta few Chirruping Wedgebills. During
several stops to Coober pedy few Chinnamon Quail Thrushes could be found.

7 Oktober

A early stop around Coober pedy produced a few Chestnut-breasted Whitefaces. On
the way to Erldunda I found a single Banded Whiteface. North of Erldunda I
found two Banded Whitefaces.

8 oktober

On the way to Ayers Rock I found Chimming Wedgebill. At Ayers Rock and
surroundings I recorded Straited Grasswren. At the Olgas a male Black
Honyeeater was present.

9 oktober

Visited Standleys Chasm (nothing here) and Simson's Gap. At the last twice a
Painted Finch. Further several new trip species, that makes te total on 291
now! A afternoon visit for a couple of hours, at Kunoth Bore produced a Grey
Honeyeater, Ground Cuckoo Shrike and Slaty-backed and Chestnut-rumped
Thornbills.

10 oktober

A stop at the Ochre Pits produced opposite the vieuwing platform a calling
Rufous-crowned Emu-wren. Two walks (blue Gum and Pool Walk) at Orminston Gorge
gave a Dusky Grasswren, no less then 60+ Painted Finches, Black Honeyeater
(male) and 2 Western Bowerbirds away. At the entrance from the main road to
Orminston Gorge a female Rufous-crowned Emu-wren was present. A visit later to
the Pink Botanical gardens gave no les sthen 5 Western Bowerbirds in full vieuw.

11 Oktober

Along the Stuart Highway at several spots Spinfexbirds could be found, as at
Mary Ann Dam north of Tennant Creek.

12 Oktober

A search around Mataranka gave a nest of Red Goshawks (with 2 almost fledged
young) and better was a Northern Shrike Tit south of Mataranka.

13 oktober

Still the Red Goshawk where at their place as on 14 oktober.

14 oktober

At lee Point Road at Darwin a flock of 41 Little Curlews was present, and at
dusk 2 Chestnut Rails where running around the boatramp at Buffaloo Creek.

Up to now 349 species seen this trip! And logged my 609th Ozie species with
Chestnut Rail.

All the best,

Justin Jansen