birding-aus

DIP on Antarctic Tern, KI

Subject: DIP on Antarctic Tern, KI
From: "andrew plimer" <>
Date: Mon, 02 Oct 2006 13:16:50 +0000

  G'day Birders,

  I just returned from Kangaroo Island after dipping on the Antarctic
  Terns at Cape du Couedic, Flinders Chase NP.

  Arrived Saturday night and then started the vigil at 6am Sunday
  morning. I was joined by Bill Maclean who arrived at 3pm from Sydney
  and we kept watch until about 6pm.

  We returned the following morning at 6:30am to resume the wait, but I
  had to leave at 3pm in order to make the 5:30pm ferry. After about 17
  hours, nothing. It's a top spot, though, and I could think of worse
  places to spend so much time at.

  A tough couple of shifts and the eyes started to play a few tricks on
  me. With half an hour to go, I thought I had it for sure. A bird with
  what looked like a red bill came into land and just as I was about to
  call it, the angle the sun was hitting it at changed and it was just
  another Crested. Ouch.

  Bill stayed on as he is leaving tomorrow morning (Tue), so hopefully
  they turned up for him towards the end of the day......

  On both days there were at least 100-200+ Crested Tern at any time and
  my best count for White-fronted Tern was close to 80 on the Sunday
  where they almost out numbered the Cresteds.

  Finally, cheers to Chris Baxter for his posts and the phone
  conversation. Very much appreciated. Also, it's important to add that
  every tour guide (and there's a lot of them) on The Rock knows about
  the birds so Chris has done a great service for the cause by spreading
  the word far and wide. Well done.

  Andrew.