birding-aus

Copyright Materials & Emu

To: birding aus <>
Subject: Copyright Materials & Emu
From: Russell Woodford <>
Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2006 19:41:55 +1000
Would all readers of Birding-Aus please remember that It is a breach of copyright to distribute any publication without the approval of its publisher or author, or in some cases both. Scanning, photocopying, faxing and distributing articles by other means - even typing them into a Word document first - can all be breaches of copyright. Academic journals are particularly susceptible, due to their high cost of production and limited subscription base. Please abide by these laws and do not distribute, or request copyright materials via birding-aus. If you wish to obtain copies of articles, particularly those published by Birds Australia, please contact that organisation or CSIRO Publishing.

I pass on the following information, sent to me earlier today by Andrew Stammer form CSIRO Publishing:

it has come to our attention that the BirdingAus listserver has carried correspondence requesting supply of PDFs of papers from Emu ... We must advise you that to provide the PDFs is against the terms and conditions under which the papers are available to readers either through their institutional subscription or through any personal subscription through Birds Australia. Specifically, individuals do not have permission to pass on this content.

All the content of Emu is copyright Birds Australia. Under the contract to publish the Journal CSIRO PUBLISHING looks after permissions requests and copyright issues. The journal is sustained by selling its content. Without sales revenue Emu would cease. It does nothing to support the journal by giving away the content ... We would be happy for you to encourage people needing access to the papers to contact CSIRO PUBLISHING directly.

____________________
Andrew Stammer
Journals Publisher
CSIRO PUBLISHING
ph +61 3 9662 7643
PO Box 1139
Collingwood
VICTORIA 3066
Australia

You can find out more about CSIRO publications at their website:

 www.publish.csiro.au

Many thanks

Russell Woodford
Birding-Aus List Owner