birding-aus

Digital zoom

Subject: Digital zoom
Date: Fri, 22 Sep 2006 09:46:03 +1000
I experimented briefly with digital zoom on my Canon S2 IS, but
found that the extra processing required noticably reduced the
update frequency of the viewfinder.  This combined with the
reduced field-of-view makes tracking a moving target, i.e. birds,
that much harder.  It can help to determine if the bird is in
focus, if it is too small to see clearly without digital zoom.

As digital zoom cannot create information that isn't present on
the image sensor, any differences in the final image is purely
due to the interpolation algorithm used to determine the values
of the "extra" pixels.  I haven't done any side-by-side tests,
but I found this site which has some useful information and
examples of different algorithms:

http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tutorials/image-interpolation.htm