birding-aus

Use of Birding-Aus

To: birding aus <>
Subject: Use of Birding-Aus
From: Russell Woodford <>
Date: Wed, 6 Sep 2006 13:52:11 +1000
Hi everyone

Steve makes some very good points here.

I do think that the wind-farm debate fits our manifest: to discuss Australian birds, their conservation, and their behaviour. This issue is an important one for at least two reasons: (1) wind farms might help reduce carbon emissions, and so in the long run protect birds. (2) wind farms have been proven to have an negative impact on some types of birds, especially large raptors such as eagles and vultures, even more so migratory ones.

These opposing views are the reason why these discussions can go downhill quickly and degenerate into personal attacks, mudslinging, abuse, and so on - which are NOT part of what birding-aus is about.

I think it is good for us to discuss such issues as long as:

(1) Once anyone has had their say, they let other people express an opinion (2) Contributors do not need to make the same point more than once - the archive makes it possible for people to re-read those views even after deleting the message. (3) Readers are best to approach such issues with an open mind. We are lucky to have a lot of experts who contribute to this forum - you may even change your mind after reading everything about an issue like windfarms, particularly if the contributions come from experts or others involved in this industry (4) Contributors do not make personal attacks, either through birding- aus or private email. Argue about the MESSAGE, not the MESSENGER.

I really don't think that someone who has some involvement in the windfarm industry is using the list for "commercial purposes" just by expressing an opinion - but I do think it is good to be open about any potential conflict of interest.

So - please don't go over and over old ground, and please continue to "keep it nice". Anything I find offensive or out of place will be removed from the archive - and if necessary that contributor might be blocked from the list.

For the record, I can't make up my mind about wind farms one way or the other - so I am reading this thread with interest. I see a lot of value in producing energy from the wind, but it's costly energy in dollar per output terms, and I wouldn't want to live close to a wind farm. The appearance doesn't bother me at all, but the threat of bird strike does - I just don't know how much impact this might have in this country.

Thanks to everyone who contributes to birding-aus in such a positive, constructive way - this is the ONLY thing that makes it such a worthwhile forum.

Russell

Russell Woodford
Birding-Aus List Owner

Geelong   Victoria   Australia