birding-aus

More Volunteers Needed: Hall's Babbler

Subject: More Volunteers Needed: Hall's Babbler
From: "Dean Portelli" <>
Date: Sat, 02 Sep 2006 15:40:56 +1000
Volunteers Needed

The Behavioural Ecology of Halls Babbler

What: I am studying a population of Halls Babblers for my PhD research at the University of New South Wales. Fieldwork will primarily involve searching for groups of babblers, observing the behaviour of colour-banded birds, monitoring nesting activity and habitat sampling*

When: From now! I intend to undertake fieldwork over the entire spring season and until birds cease breeding in summer.

Where: My study site is a private property called 'Bowra' located just outside of Cunnamulla in south-west Queensland. Travel to the site can either be with me, by private vehicle, or possibly public transport to Dubbo/Nyngan/Bourke where I could pick you up, or from Brisbane/Toowoomba direct to Cunnamulla. The site has an extraordinary birdlife and is well-known to many birdwatchers. Special birds aside from Hall's Babbler that are regularly seen include Chestnut-breasted Quail-thrush, White-browed Treecreeper, Bourke's and Mulga Parrots, Pink Cockatoo, Crimson Chat, Grey and Black Falcons, and Black-breasted Buzzard.

Who: If you're interested I am looking for reasonably fit, reliable people who can spend a minimum of two weeks out at the field site. Fieldwork will involve much walking (several kilometres per day) and often long days out in the field with the birds, including dawn starts. No experience is necessary but keen enthusiasm for birds and working outdoors is highly desirable.

If you are interested please send me an email and we can go from there!!

Regards,
Dean Portelli

* All necessary licences and permits, including Animal Ethics approval from the UNSW ACEC have been obtained for this research project