birding-aus

re: Japanese Field-Guide

To: "BIRDING-AUS" <>, "Val Curtis" <>
Subject: re: Japanese Field-Guide
From: "Mike Carter" <>
Date: Fri, 1 Sep 2006 11:00:54 +1000
Val,

I couldn't bird in Australia (or serve on BARC) without a Japanese
field-guide; so how have you managed? I have four and expect another
shortly. Only one is in English. The best ones are in Japanese but I find
that only a minor impediment. They are mostly photographic with up to 9
figures illustrating a species where necessary. They use the familiar male &
female symbols, species names are in Latin and usually English and you can
read the maps. One I was shown years ago even has a small sound player. Each
species has a bar code. When swiped, the machine plays the song of that
species. So get any that are available. As an adjunct, I do however
occasionally find Mark Brazil's 'The Birds of Japan' useful. It is in
English but is not a field guide, dealing mainly with status.

Mike Carter
30 Canadian Bay Road
Mt Eliza    VIC     3930
Ph:  (03) 9787 7136