birding-aus

Brett Whiteley as a Birder

To: "bird (E-mail)" <>
Subject: Brett Whiteley as a Birder
From: "Tim Murphy" <>
Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2006 17:36:31 +1000
While the bill is reminiscent of the Long-billed Spiderhunter, that is a
biggish bird. The Little Spiderhunter has a shortish bill.

Some of the hermits have long curved beaks and my personal sugestion is the
Red-billed Streamer-tail (locally know as the Doctorbird), which is the
national bird of Jamaica and decorates Air Jamaica plane tails, (see
http://experts.about.com/e/a/ai/Air_Jamaica.htm ) is more the right size. It
is a hummingbird of course and notice the long tail streamers.

I suspect that it is more likely the Brett Whitley saw an Air Jamaica plane
than he saw a Spiderhunter as Spiderhunters are birds of forests - although
I recently saw some Littles just over the central kiosk in Singapore Botanic
Gardens (a great place to have breakfast).

Brett Whitely travelled widely (see
http://www.artquotes.net/masters/whiteley_biography.htm ) but seems to have
avoided the range of any Spiderhunter.

So on balance I would assume that it is a hummingbird and he was not
stringing - there are about 350 species of them and it may be a stylised one
anyway.,

Tim Murphy

PS. Thanks for a fascinating question.