birding-aus

Georgetown

To: Birding Aus <>
Subject: Georgetown
From: Sue & Phil Gregory <>
Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2006 07:53:33 +1000
Just back from 3 days around Georgetown, which is very green with lots of water about still. No Budgerigars or Emu, and few kangaroos, and just 3 Cockatiel.
Highlights:
6 Australian Bustard, 8 Spinifex Pigeons near Routh Creek, lots of Diamond Doves, Spotted Harrier, two Ground Cuckoo-shrike near Durham Creek, Grey-fronted Honeyeater near Flat Creek, lots of Rufous- throated and Yellow-tinted Honeyeaters, 15+ Black-throated Finch at Cumberland Dam and along the main road, Masked Finch with small dark billed juveniles which looked really odd, a few Zebra Finch, and one imm. Pictorella Mannikin. One surprise, and a new bird for me here was Western Gerygone at Cumberland Dam, where I usually see White-throated; also had Australasian Reed Warbler and Tawny Grassbird at the Dam, both of which may be new for me here. Still wrestling with the identity of the Restless Flycatchers here- they have bluish crowns and mantles and are quite long billed with obvious rictal bristles, which still inclines me towards Restless rather than Paperbark, though they don't seem to give the long scissor sharpening call which may be diagnostic of the former. I've asked about this before and everyone ducked.....
Good Birding
Phil Gregory
www. cassowary-house.com.au