birding-aus

Sabine's Gull at Derby - tide link?

Subject: Sabine's Gull at Derby - tide link?
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2006 21:46:03 +1000
On Thu, Aug 24, 2006 at 07:28:21PM +1000, Peter Barrand wrote:
>   Hi all
>   The Sabine's Gull returned to the freshwater wetland today but did not
>   follow its usual pattern.
>   We located the bird at the western end of the area at 1109. It
>   remained for 45 minutes  then flew north as usual. It returned at 1406
>   - departing 17 minutes later - flying low. We searched the saline
>   wetland to the north and found the bird feeding - was still there when
>   we left at 1550.

Regarding the question as to if the gull's appearance was linked to
the tides in Derby, 1406 is close to high tide, but 1109 is roughly
half way between low and high tides.

Tides for Derby can be found here:
   http://www.mobilegeographics.com:81/locations/1561.html

The times are similar - but not the same - as published tide times;
for birding purposes, they are more than adequate.  The site is
based on the Unix program XTide (http://www.flaterco.com/xtide/);
versions for many operating systems and handheld computers are
available.  (I use XTide under Linux, and the PalmOS version,
TideTool: http://www.toolworks.com/bilofsky/tidetool/)