birding-aus

Grass Owl at Western Treatment Plant, Victoria

Subject: Grass Owl at Western Treatment Plant, Victoria
From: "R Clarke" <>
Date: Sat, 19 Aug 2006 13:06:05 +1000
Hi All,

Yet another update on the Grass Owl at the Western Treatment Plant,
Werribee, Victoria.

This morning I was birding around Kirk Pt and flushed it from a small patch
of saltbush at the western end of the Kirk Point access track. This is at
least 800 m (perhaps 1 km) from the spot were it has been seen leaving its
roost at the back of the Spit (Pt Wilson road). It flew around me once then
flew west towards the Spit. When I lost it from view it was reasonably close
to the 'original' roost site so I reckon anyone looking for it on dusk
tonight should go to that site rather than Kirk Pt. The bird is clearly
using at least two roosts (It also wasn't seen at the Spit site on Thursday
evening). The problem is once you've missed it at one roost on dusk it is
too late that evening to try other potential sites.

In case any non-Victorians are wondering why all the excitement, there are
only a handful of well documented records of the species for Victoria and to
my knowledge this is only the second Victoria Grass Owl that has ever been
twitchable.

Cheers,
Rohan Clarke