birding-aus

Birding Kempsey area 6/8/06

Subject: Birding Kempsey area 6/8/06
From: "Grant Private name" <>
Date: Wed, 09 Aug 2006 16:39:01 +1000
Everyone,

On Sunday Nick & Liz Livanos, Robert McDonald and I headed up the highway to Kempsey in an attempt to tick the Northern Shoveler. We failed but saw some great birds during the day. Before arriving at the shoveler site we had already seen White-headed and Topknot Pigeons, Brahminy Kite, Torresian Crow and lots of White-necked Herons.

Stopping where the bird had been seen previously we saw Osprey, Scaly-breasted Lorikeet, Darter, Hardhead and Crested Terns.

We met up with Ken Shingleton at Gladstone and he showed us around Belmore Swamp. After recent heavy rain the area was covered in water providing habitat for Gull-billed and Caspian Tern, Aust. Shoveler and more White-necked Herons. At one stop we watched an Osprey feeding on a fish, the bird clearly displaying two leg bands. Two Forest Raven flew over as we watched.

Our last stop with Ken proved a real highlight for me. Along the road we saw White-breasted Woodswallow, Golden-headed Cisticola, Tawny Grassbird and a Forest Kingfisher, a bird I haven't seen in over 11yrs.

After thanking Ken we headed south to Port Macquarie where we stopped at Shelly Beach for lunch. 8 Sooty Oystercatcher and a White-fronted Tern were highlights. We then went into Sea Acres NR and found our targetted Pale-yellow Robins easily.

We then headed further south for our final stop for the day, Harrington. It was getting late and very windy so birds weren't showing at their best but we did see Pied Oystercatcher, Eastern Curlew and Bar-tailed Godwit in the estuary and a single Bush Thick-knee in the caravan park.

All up we saw over 110 species for the day. Big thanks goes to Ken Shingleton for showing us around.

Grant Brosie
Morpeth