birding-aus

Mount Isa Wrens, July 2006

To: "Birding Aus" <>
Subject: Mount Isa Wrens, July 2006
From: "Gil Langfield" <>
Date: Fri, 21 Jul 2006 16:42:17 +1000
Darryel Binns, Frank O?Connor and I spent a week in Mount Isa in mid-July to
look for the local Grasswrens and nearby Rufous-crowned Emu-wrens.  We had a
great deal of help from Bob Forsyth and information on the Emu-wren from
Lloyd Nielsen.

We found the Carpentarian Grasswren on McNamara Road about 3.8 km from the
highway, but not at the famous cairn which is about 8 km from the highway.
We found the ballarae race of the Dusky Grasswren at four of the six
locations suggested by Bob Forsyth.  We did not find the latter at the T & T
site at Mica Creek.  We found the Emu-wren about 18 km along the
Dajarra-Duchess road, a little west of the Standish Ranges which HANZAB
states form the western limit of the isolated population in Queensland.  The
Grasswrens flew a lot more than we expected.

We saw about 140 species altogether.  Please contact me if you would like
more detailed information.

Regards,

Gil Langfield
Melbourne Australia