birding-aus

Westland Petrel seen NOW off St Helens, TAS, ATTRACTED by shark liver

To: "BIRDING-AUS" <>
Subject: Westland Petrel seen NOW off St Helens, TAS, ATTRACTED by shark liver
From: "Mike Carter" <>
Date: Fri, 21 Jul 2006 14:09:18 +1000
The first of the St. Helens, Tasmania, pelagics is at sea now and currently has
two Westland Petrels over their shark liver berley trail. Whilst on the phone
to me they also had their second Light-mantled Sooty Albatross and a N Royal
Albatross. Rohan Clarke is on his way for tomorrows trip and if anyone wants to
share a ride with him his mobile is 0408 947 001! He's leaving Melbourne at
5.00 pm so be quick! If the weather holds they will be out again on Sunday.
Phone Ian May on 0428 337 956 if you're a  twitcher who can move quickly, i.e.
a good one!

I'll take this advantage to say just how silly are the scientists claiming that
shark liver oil per se is a deterrent to sea-birds. At my recommendation Ian
drove 500 km to get shark liver to use an attraction for these pelagics. Shark
liver is the reason that the Port Fairy pelagics are so successful. No other
berley works as well. And it is indeed the smell that attracts them. I thought
that it was well known that they can smell it from 7 Nm (13 km) away. They are
not called tube-noses for nothing. Moreover I believe most birds can smell.
Many years ago when it was suggested that migrant Wagtails were attracted to
the Christmas Island tip by the smell, I argued that it was not possible
because passerines had no sense of smell. I was told that was outdated 1970's
biology. Actually, in my case it was much older than that so I took the
put-down as a compliment!

Mike Carter
30 Canadian Bay Road
Mt Eliza    VIC     3930