birding-aus

Cat Control

Subject: Cat Control
From: "inger vandyke" <>
Date: Fri, 21 Jul 2006 01:17:07 +0000

  Hi Tony et al.

  I am not an authority on this either but a couple of years ago in the
  Red Centre I did a campervan trip for 7 days, during which time I
  spotted over 12 wild cats.  Every one of them looked like a version of
  a domestic moggie to me but HUGE!  They were hunting at night and
  seemed to be very prolific in the Western MacDonnells.  I had never
  witnessed such a huge concentration of them.

  I would fully agree with Tony in his comments.  The damage these cats
  must be doing out there must be irreparable.

  Its a shame that tracking devices aren't more advanced so that
  responsible cat owners could keep a real eye on their cat and where
  it's going.  The onus could then be thrown back to Councils who should
  rule that any cat on the street without a tracker could be caught and
  destroyed if unclaimed.

  Cheers,

  Inger