birding-aus

Re: New Zealand Bird Songs

Subject: Re: New Zealand Bird Songs
From: "inger vandyke" <>
Date: Thu, 20 Jul 2006 21:41:40 +0000

  Hi All,

  I was in NZ in January and found the "Birds of New Zealand - Land Bird
  Calls and Seabird Calls" quite useful.  It is distributed by Viking
  Sevenseas NZ LTD, P O Box 152, PARAPARAUMU  NZ.

  I found the forests of NZ to be largely silent however NZ can be quite
  rewarding for birders who put the effort in.

  What a shame the hills don't ring with the sounds of Kokako anymore
  (only in a select number of places).  It would be wonderful if the DOC
  down there succeeded in recreating this.  NZ's conservation efforts
  are to be admired and thankfully they willingly export their ideas and
  technology overseas in the form of predator proof fencing and rat
  traps.

  I would recommend a visit to Karori Sanctuary in Wellington to see how
  predator proof fences work and for the wonderful birdlife within their
  confines.  Only problem they seemed to have had though was with their
  Wekas.  Apparently an internal Weka Proof Fence had to be constructed
  to stop the Wekas attacking the captive bred Tuotaras, also living in
  the reserve.  It's a fascinating concept.

  Motuara or any of the other Island Arks are also great for birdlife.

  Cheers,

  Inger