birding-aus

RFI - Port Moresby & Rabaul, PNG

To: Colin R <>
Subject: RFI - Port Moresby & Rabaul, PNG
Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2006 08:12:16 +1000
G'day Colin

The BOP display area best known in Varirata is 30m off the bitumen road 400m
before you get to the main lookout.  There is a retaining wall on the right and
just enough room to park a vehicle on the left against the bank.  You will see
a track up the 1.5m bank that leads to the tall trees that they use.  The
rangers know it well and they may take you to it when you pay them your entry
fee.

PAU has a good range of birds and with Varirata will give you most of the Port
Moresby birds.  Remember to e-mail Eric Katovai to make a booking for PAU.  His
address is

There are other places around Port Moresby but these days they are not very
safe unless you have a large group of locals with you.  The old sewage ponds
are good but are also a bit of a trap.  I lived there for 8 years and never got
to see the POM sewage ponds.  Former locals advised me not to go there.  The
PAU sewage ponds have some good birds most of the time.

There are mangroves to the NW and some swamps on the way but you are much safer
if you have some locals with you.

Rabaul is a much safer place and I know there are Glossy swiftlets nesting at
Sonoma college in old japanese war tunnels which most of the staff and students
on campus can direct you to.  There are a range of doves in their cocoa
plantation.

Happy birding in PNG.

Mike Tarburton