birding-aus

Grey-headed Lapwing: another spot to look

To: <>
Subject: Grey-headed Lapwing: another spot to look
From: "Charles Nixon" <>
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2006 12:37:32 +1000
At 4pm on Sunday afternoon July 9 the bird was in its 'favourite haunt'
[see Mike Carter 27/6] when Ian McAllan, Philip Brook and I arrived at
the silos.
Martin and Pat Moffat from Canberra had already located it near the
road at the pub end of the grassy stretch. It was watchful but not
unduly bothered by us [of course we did not leave our vehicles]. After
after some time, however, after our twitching appetites had been sated
and photos  taken, it suddenly took off without warning and flew  some
distance to the west and we could not relocate it.

On Monday morning we decided to check out a nearby tank where we'd seen
lots of ducks the evening before. The ducks had gone, but to our
astonishment the Lapwing was there, in the SW corner on the water line.
[this about 7.30 a.m.] Once again, after some time [15 mins.] it flew
off in the direction of the silos. So if the bird is not in its other
haunts it may be worth a look at the tank.
To get there, drive west just past the silos and the picnic table and
immediately turn left on the road to Pilliga [signposted]. You cross the
railway line and continue for several hundred metres  to the far end of
a belt of trees on the creek line. At a big truck safety sign on the
left take the dirt track that cuts sharply back on your left. A hundred
metres on the right is the tank, surrounded by cooba. Our hastily jotted
GPS reading 30 06 66 [sic] 148 57 20 might help.
Ted Nixon
[ and Ian and Philip]