birding-aus

Trip report - Mallee/Gluepot/SW Vic

To: <>
Subject: Trip report - Mallee/Gluepot/SW Vic
From: "John Harris" <>
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2006 09:51:50 +1000
Dear All
About time I reported a few things from my trip around the western 1/3 of
Victoria over the school holidays, just gone.

I had 13 days touring Hattah, Ned's Corner, Gluepot, Yookamurra Sanctuary (SA),
Murray-Sunset, Pine Plains and "lower" Wyperfeld, Lt Desert and Lower Glenelg
NP's and then made my way back along the coast to Melbourne.

Highlights were:
Regent Parrots - Hattah, Pine Plains
Mallee Emu-wren(6+) - Nowingi Toxic Dump Site
Orange Chat (3) - Ned's Corner
White-browed Treecreeper - Yarrarra, Gluepot
Pied Honeyeater - Gluepot
Black-eared Miner - Gluepot
Shy Hylacola - Gluepot, Murray-Sunset ( Good photos)
Purple-gaped Honeyeater - Murray- Sunset
Red-lored Whistler - Murray-Sunset - Yes Chris, the bird had flown to the other
side of the track and did send his regards to you....
Major Mitchell Cockatoo - Pine Plains (20+), Wyperfeld (2)
Redthroat - Yookamurra, Lake Brambuk (3)
Slender-billed Thornbill (10+) - Salt Lake Track - Lt Desert (about half way
down)
Karak ( Red-tailed Black Cockatoo) (12+) - Lower Glenelg NP
Olive Whistler - LG NP
Rufous Bristlebird - LG NP, Cape Nelson
Kelp Gull - Bishops Seat - Discovery Bay Coastal Park, Killarney Beach
Beautiful Firetail (2) - BS
Hooded Plover (6) - Kilarney beach.

Mammals
Southern Hairy-nosed Wombat, Boodie (captive), Woylie (captive), Bilby
(captive) and Numbat at Yookamurra sanctuary, near Sedan in SA.

All in all, 40 species for my Vic list for the year, around 10 species for my
Vic life list and 3 lifers.

Yours in all things "green"

Regards

John Harris