birding-aus

Lapwing - Sunday update

To: "Birding-aus" <>
Subject: Lapwing - Sunday update
From: "Stuart, Alan AD" <>
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2006 09:33:14 +1000
Six happy people eventually found the Grey-headed Lapwing at 11:15 a.m.
on Sunday 9 July at Burren Junction - Ann Lindsey, Allan Richards, Chris
Sanderson, David Egan, Myrene Egan and me.  Ann and I had been looking
for it since 7:00 a.m., and we were becoming a bit frantic by the time
it turned up especially as we had also spent from 5:15 till pitch black
on Saturday looking for it.

At no time while we in Burren Junction was the bird in the famous
paddock opposite the silo, nor any other of the areas near to the road,
although birders we met that night in the pub (Lorna and Graeme Mee) had
seen it on the paddock at 3:00 on the Saturday.

When we first saw the lapwing, it was flying in from a direction to the
NE of the paddock (these bearings are based on the assumption that the
road runs east-west here).  The bird flew straight over the paddock and
across the railway line, landing in a ditch behind the south-eastern
tarpaulin-covered grain stockpile.  It looked to me that it went
purposefully there i.e. as if it was a location it had utilised before.
When we caught up with it, it was at the edge of a small pool of water
at the eastern end of the ditch. It slowly walked along the ditch away
from us, towards where there are some old tyres alongside the ditch.  It
sometimes turned towards us, and so overall we had very satisfying
views.  The bird was still there at 11:50 when we left - there were two
guys from Victoria standing out by the paddock as we were heading out (I
can't remember their names) and so we gave them the directions to the
bird and then Ann and I headed homewards, with big smiles on our faces.

The dining room at the pub was closed for a private function on Saturday
night and we were directed to the servo for a meal.  Be warned - the
kitchen there goes off at 6:00 prompt and if you arrive at 6:01 (as we
did) the kitchen is closed.  But we were at least able to buy a pie.

Alan Stuart

This message and any attached files may contain information that is
confidential and/or subject of legal privilege intended only for use by the
intended recipient. If you are not the intended recipient or the person
responsible for delivering the message to the intended recipient, be advised
that you have received this message in error and that any dissemination,
copying or use of this message or attachment is strictly forbidden, as is the
disclosure of the information therein. If you have received this message in
error please notify the sender immediately and delete the message.