birding-aus

Ground Parrot at Malabar

To: Greg <>
Subject: Ground Parrot at Malabar
From: Rod Gardner <>
Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2006 12:28:56 +1000
Hi Greg,

A reasonable point about returning the bird to where it ws
found. My concern, though, is that the habitat at Malabar is
far from ideal. There's nothing like button-grass, and very
little low heath vegetation (there's a few acress a on the
south side overlooking Long Bay). Also the golf courses to
the south extend to Botany Bay, but there's even less
suitable habitat there. There's also still a lot of bitou
bush, though the bush carers have improved things a lot over
the past decade or so. I just don't think that it is a
viable habitat for Ground Parrots.

I checked HANZAB, and it says that movements of up to 220 km
have been recorded, mainly juvenile post-breeding dispersal.
Also they turn up in odd places in Tasmania, so it's not
wholly crazy that one should turn up at Malabar.

Rod